How to apply for a Canadian student permit through the Student Direct Stream (SDS)

If you want to pursue higher education in a multicultural country like Canada, then this blog is a guide for you for on Canadian student permit through the Student Direct Stream. Canadian immigration policies have always been attractive to international students.

If you live in selected countries, in this blog we will give you a detailed overview of the Student Direct program.

Student Permit SDS for those intending to study in Canada which enables faster processing of their application. Countries selected by Canada that students can apply for this program and their application can be processed within 20 days.

If you want faster processing, you need to ensure these things.

  • Delivery of biometrics as soon as possible.
  • Fulfill all eligibility requirements.

Note: Remember that your study permit is not your visa. You cannot enter Canada based on this alone. You will still need a visit visa or electric travel authorization (eTA). When your study permit is issued, the Canadian government will issue you a study permit approval letter and issue a visa in your passport that will allow you to enter Canada.


Student Direct Stream (SDS) program eligibility criteria

To apply through the Student Direct Stream, you must:

  • Be a legal resident living in one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Brazil, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, India, Morocco, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Senegal, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, or Vietnam.
  • Have an acceptance letter from a post-secondary Designated Learning Institution (DLI). A DLI is a school approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students. All primary and secondary schools in Canada are DLIs. If you plan to attend a post-secondary school, make sure it is on this list.
  • Be living outside of Canada when you apply.
  • Have proof of payment for your first-year tuition. Acceptable proofs include:
    • A receipt from your DLI;
    • An official letter from the DLI confirming payment of tuition fees;
    • A receipt from your bank showing that tuition fees have been paid to the DLI; or
    • Proof that the tuition fee amount has been transferred into a repository account at the DLI to be applied to the tuition bill at a later date.
  • Have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of $10,000 CAD;
  • Have a certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) if you intend to study in Quebec. Your school can give you all the details on how to apply for the CAQ.
  • Get a medical exam (if you need one). This is to make sure you’re not inadmissible for medical reasons. You may need to get a medical exam if:
    • You’ve lived or travelled in certain countries or territories for six or more months in the year before you come to Canada; or
    • You plan on studying or working in healthcare, primary/secondary education, or child or elder care;
  • Get a police certificate (if you need one). This is to check if you have a criminal record and ensure you’re not inadmissible to Canada.
  • Have your most recent secondary or post-secondary school transcript(s).
  • Have a language test result that shows:
    • A score of 6.0 or higher in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening) on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); or
    • A Test d’évaluation de français (TEF) score that is equal to a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of at least 7 in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening).

Depending on where you’re applying from, you may also need to provide other documents. Make sure you include all the documents required by your local visa office.


The all information are from the website of an authorized agency which guides you legally for your immigration and fully supports you in your application. We are grateful to Arrivein and wish him all the best for his enterprise.

Leave a Comment